Thursday, October 25, 2012

Perspective

I know there is no such thing as a perfect country or government.

I know that as an American in Taiwan, I am shielded from most of the country's social issues.

What I do know is people matter.

They need to matter more than lobbyists and agendas.

And I know, without doubt, that Taiwan has figured this out.

For example, take socialized healthcare.

If people matter, especially the average, common, every day Joe, then isn't it clearly a good thing, the only right thing, to provide him with cheap, affordable, quality health care? So money is never an issue? So he doesn't sit at home thinking, "I hope this doesn't get worse because it will bankrupt me" or even "This is serious but I won't see a doctor so my family can eat and pay rent?"

We have someone running for president that would let Mr. Average Joe die rather than, god forbid, restructure our government and how it spends its tax revenue so no one has to debate the value of his or her health versus bankruptcy or groceries or rent.

We have someone running for president who clearly does not understand the only difference between a man and woman is that one has a vagina and the other a penis, and that this fact does not make one more qualified for jobs or entitled to earn more money.

We have someone running for president who thinks he's god of all, especially women, and should decide what we can and cannot do with our bodies... in all circumstances.

We have someone running for president who is chomping at the bit for a piece of the Middle East yet seems incapable of finding Iran or Syria on a map.

Most importantly, we have someone running for president who clearly does not understand what a president is supposed to do: work for the people, and yes, Mr. Average Joe counts too.

I love America; it is my home and my family lives there and it is beautiful and there are so many inspiring people.

But I do not miss it.

Not at all.

I feel like I've finally found civilization; a country where there are no homeless people on the streets, where everyone has health insurance, where there are no guns and I feel incredibly safe walking around my city at night, where respect is real and apparent, and where there is a sense of national pride because people realize that Chinese or Taiwanese or Hakka, they're in this together.

I know Obama is no savior, but what I do know is that he gave my uninsured husband health insurance, he withdrew our troops from one of two meaningless wars, and he has not dismissed women early from work so they can be home in time to cook their families dinner.

So when it comes down to this presidential election, I agree whole heatedly with The New Yorker article below. It's definitely worth a read:

http://www.newyorker.com/talk/comment/2012/10/29/121029taco_talk_editors


0 comments

Post a Comment

Hover to Pin