Sunday, October 21, 2012

Pizza and the East China Sea and culture shock

Sometimes, I have these moments.

It's like, one minute I feel normal and then all of the sudden I'm hit with the realization that I live in Taiwan.

And, you know, it's... different.

Really different.

And nothing looks right.

And then I'm humbled by the experience, by the sights and sounds and smells and tastes and feelings.

It's incredible.

It's the most life-affirming thing I've ever experienced, which makes sense because I'm always chasing it.

I crave being completely surrounded by foreignness:

When hundreds of voices resonate but none make sense.

When everything I see is raw and messy and so real.

When flavors burst in my mouth and shock my senses.

When colors and faces and sounds and smells collide.

When the only thing I recognize is Sean, this beautiful man I get to spend my life with.

Today, as we scooted to the East China Sea, I felt assaulted by our life change.

I scooted past all these people, all these places, and simply felt flabbergasted and privileged to bear witness to this difference, this otherness.

It's so easy to be rubbed the wrong way by culture shock.

But I think the beautiful part of being here is not passing judgment and instead simply soaking it in and truly grasping that there is no one right way to live.

Today, as we zipped past bustling day markets and families of four on scooters and farmers tending their fields and fisherman hauling in their catch, we both felt immensely grateful to witness it...

0 comments

Post a Comment

Hover to Pin