Wednesday, February 6, 2013

I guess you can go back

Sometimes I lose sight of the bigger picture and find myself dwelling on certain ideas like: never go back to the same place twice.



For me, it comes down to two things:

One, I have this stupid goal, you see, to use up every page in my passport before it expires next February. And, with all of our plans, I will.

But, I still get really weird about revisiting places and staying in one place longer than a few days.

If it were up to me (and thank god this time around it wasn't), our Chinese New Year break would not have been a break at all. It would have been this multi-country dash to go-go-go and we would have spent days and days on buses and trains, and don't get me wrong I really don't mind that but you see I really did just need a break.


Thankfully, my husband has learned to say no to me when it comes to my grand plans.

Good for him.

So he came up with this alternative plan: let's go to Railay and enjoy the warmth and sunshine and beach and food. Let's go on vacation and relax, for once.

And I pouted.

I had planned on flying to Australia and New Zealand (and dropping a pretty chunk of change while at it) but he held firm and was the voice of reason.

And, of course, he was right; flying for hours and hours and moving all over one ginormous country and another split into two islands would not have been a break. I would have returned to Hsinchu more exhausted than I left it. 

But the second reason I don't like revisiting places is because I want to see as much of the world as possible and it feels wrong to me to see the same place twice. Where is the adventure? The exploration? The first-time-magic?

But, sometimes I'm really, really wrong.

Like, completely wrong.

Proof: we've been in Thailand for nearly three weeks now, and so far every place we've been to has been a re-visit for us: Bangkok, Krabi Town, Railay, Ao Nang.


But the thing is, it's still full of magic.

I was so worried about going back to these places because they were so special to me the first time around (and because, been there and done that, you know), but despite that they still are special. 

We've been able to do things we didn't have either the time or money or both to do.

We've go to send off lanterns into the night sky and watch them float away.

We've got to rock climb and cliff jump and sail and kayak.

We've got to spend time with monkeys and elephants.

We've got to eat the best food in the world, three times a day.

We've got to just be here and have no worries about what day of the week it is, what time it is, when does our bus leave, how will we find out hostel, do we have enough to eat more than a cup of noodle, etc.

And it's been perfect.

So, while I still have my moments of what are we still doing here I'm learning to place them into the category of thoughts to be ignored.

I have been in Thailand for three weeks and each and every day has been a sweet adventure. I have this beautiful man with me who is getting to live one of his dreams come true by rock climbing in one of the world's best spots to do just that. I've been spoiled, sun burned, stuffed, ridiculously content, awed, and plain and simply happy here.

Isn't that kinda the point?


0 comments

Post a Comment

Hover to Pin