Saturday, October 25, 2014

stitch fix: a lifesaver, maybe


Like any woman, I have struggled with periods of insecurity regarding my body. But I have come to a point in my life where I can accept myself and not think of my body as something to fix or hide or shame. 
Gasp, I even think I am beautiful.
But that doesn't mean that dressing my uber petite, size 12 body doesn't frustrate me. 
It really, really does.
Especially in Taiwan, where nearly every single woman is a size 0 and clothing simply does not exist for women who look like me, except for at Big Girl stores, which I refuse to frequent as I find them ostracizing and demeaning. 
So for the last three years, I have had to buy every single stitch of clothing online and have it shipped to Taiwan.
We can all understand the perils of that: how am I supposed to know what will fit + look good?
Some stuff works great, but a lot (too much, actually) of the stuff I buy sits in my closet because it's too tight, too loose, too short, too long, etc.


Then, a friend mentioned Stitch Fix and I had an ah-ha moment.
Stitch Fix is an online shopping service for women. 
Customers fill out a detailed style survey and order a fix, or shipment. Within that shipment are five items personally chosen for you by a stylist according to your fashion survey, body type, and any other additional information you provide your stylist with such as a Pinterest fashion board
What I love about this is that the responsibility to get things right is on someone else.
I gave my stylist my size in measurements, so chances are my skirts + dresses + shirts will fit a lot better than when I order a size 12 and hope all size 12s are magically the same. 
I told my stylist that I hate baggy, shapeless tops, so chances are I won't get one by accident because I had no idea the top was pinned on the model in the picture. 
I told my stylist that I have a short torso and really rounded hips, so chances are she'll think twice about what does and does not make it into my box. 
Truth: I want clothes that look awesome on my body.
Who doesn't?


And since I cannot go to a mall in order to make that happen, I am excited that I now have a possible option for getting the most possible out of my extreme online shopping (the last thing I want to do is ship something from Taiwan back to the US). 
I cannot wait to tell you if Stitch Fix is a hit or not, but I am crossing my fingers that is it! My first fix should arrive sometime in December and I will definitely keep you posted! 

If interested, check out Stitch Fix for yourself! 




This post is part of the Sunday Traveler link up!

10 comments

  1. Have you had any shipments of clothes from them yet? I'm love to see how they really fit and suit you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My first fix will arrive in December (usually it takes the longest to get your first one but then you can choose how often you want more: monthly, every other month, etc.) so I will post pics and my opinions once I get my first box!

      Delete
  2. I've always wanted to try stitch fix. Unfortunately, I cannot ship things to Lithuania (gigantic import tax on basically anything) so it will have to wait until some other time. One of my good friends used Stitch Fix and loved it though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that is a hitch. Stitch Fix likewise does not ship to Taiwan. However, my wonderful mother sends packages often so she will show me things over Skype and I will decide whether or not to return them. It's what I do with all of my online shopping because very few stores actually ship to Taiwan.

      Delete
  3. Wow, I have never heard of this!! Excited to see the results.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know a gal who uses it (in the US, though) and absolutely loves it. And the clothes really are pretty awesome. Good luck and I look forward to seeing what arrives!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whoa, this sounds awesome! Sometimes I really just hate going to the mall. This is like your own personal shopper. Can't wait to see what you get in your first box!

    ReplyDelete

Hover to Pin