Wednesday, January 7, 2015

worth it: countdown to new zealand



In the last two days, I have successfully spent most of the money we have carefully saved for the last 12 months.

The money that meant we could not go out to eat except on occasion.
That we could not buy many things we wanted.
That we could not enjoy a day in the city with friends.
Heck, money that meant we had to carefully weigh every option at the grocery store.
Money that meant we could no longer shop at certain grocery stores!

Saving for New Zealand for one whole year was no small financial sacrifice.
For personal reasons, we do not have a credit card.
We do not, ever, spend money we don't already have.
So for us that meant careful and intentional saving for one entire year.
But it was so worth it.
And as I have watched my bank account start to dwindle due to booking hotels and excursions, I cannot help but feel a sense of pride.

Was it hard? Yes.
Did I deeply regret it? Some weeks days.
Am I tired of living in such a financial vacuum? You have no idea.

But, but, but... some things are worth the sacrifice, both financial and otherwise.

The truth is, now is the worst time for us to be embarking on a trip. After all, now is the busiest and most stressful time of my teaching year: it's the end of the semester and grades are soon to be due.

I have to grade 60 research papers.
I have to make my two sets of final exams, one for language arts and one for social studies.
Then I have to grade 120 final exams.
I have to calculate final grades and submit them.
I have to get prepared for third quarter, which will start three days after we get back from New Zealand.

That doesn't even begin to account for everything else: you know, real life.
Running. Cooking. Cleaning. Laundry. Grocery shopping. Dating the husband. Coffee with friends. Skype chats with family. Other errands.

In every single 30 minutes of free time I've had recently, I have been trip planning.
Would I like to sit on the couch and take a load off? Of course.
But the truth is, if it doesn't happen now, then I will not find the time to do it later.
Kind of like saving for the trip.

Am I exhausted? Yes.
Am I ready for this phase to be done? Absolutely.
Is it worth it? A billion times yes!

And despite being tired of the saving and the planning stages of this epic trip, I know every last stress and penny will be worth it.

Because this trip is proof positive that dreams do come true! 






2 comments

  1. Yay! I love the positive spin on this post. I felt exactly the same when I was saving to move to London. I had to stop spending money on nights out/dinners/lunches etc and really knuckle down. All the planning, saving was hard - but it was so worth it!! NZ will be so great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We just got back from NZ and YES it was worth every single thing we had to pass over in order to save.

      Delete

Hover to Pin