Saturday, September 19, 2015

driving milford sound: the chasm

Many treasures await those who make the journey by car along New Zealand's Highway 94 to Milford Sound. The Chasm is one of those hidden treasures. After enduring the slightly horrifying drive through the Homer Tunnel, the Chasm is one of the final rest stops before making it all the way to end of the Sound. It is a short 15 minute walk from the roadside and a good opportunity to get out of the car and stretch the legs for a bit. The trail follows the Cleddau River and offers beautiful views from bridges. What I liked the most about the Chasm was the sound; the water roared and it was easy to see how the riverbed rocks were deformed over time by the rushing gushing water. 

It's funny because when trip planning, I never plan on stopping at places like this. In fact, I don't even usually know that places like this exist. But in the end, we make it to these little treasures and they turn out to be some of my favorite experiences. Although, I think it would be highly unlikely to find any place in Milford Sound that would not immediately steal my heart. 


2 comments

  1. what a beautiful place and well worth a stop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I was kind of mad because for some reason my thumb was in over half of the photos I took of the chasm! Hahaha! I think it was a sign that I took enough photos of Milford Sound!

      Delete

Hover to Pin