Sunday, March 6, 2016

rock climbing in Longdong

On Saturday morning, we left Hsinchu early for Longdong, a northern cape of the island. I didn't really know what to expect from this place. We were on a mission to rock climb and hike (and eat cheeseburgers in Taipei, but that is another story). In the end, our mission was a complete success, and we left Longdong later that afternoon with a few scratches, some really bad sunburns and sore muscles.  

Longdong is hidden off the main coastal road, behind an elementary school and through stone fields that evoke images of Modor. The truth is, without the help of our awesome cab driver and some really friendly local fishermen and divers, we never would have found it on our own. 

But find it we did!

Longdong is not really a place to go to in order to enjoy a day of leisure at the beach. In fact, there isn't a beach. There is just a bunch of rocks. But people do not go to Longdong for a day of leisure. They go there to sweat and enjoy themselves. We saw a ton of divers, rock climbers and hikers. And, randomly, one girl taking her college graduation photos in her cap and gown. 

Little red arrows line the "path", showing the best way to navigate the stone field. I did not expect that I would do any rock climbing while in Longdong, but it is literally impossible to visit Longdong without climbing huge rocks. However, I left the steep vertical ascents to my super cool rock climbing husband.

While he free climbed, my friend and I climbed over and through the immense rock field to get closer to the water. Finally, we reached a sea cliff and just sat and admired the view of the Pacific. It was spectacular.

While on the sea cliff, I noticed that no one besides my husband was free climbing. Everyone else was using ropes and hard hats. There were a few times I questioned his decisions, but then I remembered all of the other times I questioned him. 

My husband is part monkey and can climb anything. Do I worry sometimes? Yes. But he is not stupid and he very much enjoys living. A few times, I watched him backtrack when he realized a move was too risky. Sometimes, rather than worry, you just have to let people be themselves and trust that they know what they're doing. 

My husband is a climber. 

I literally have hundreds of pictures of him boldering on huge rocks.  

So, in the end, I decided to set my worry aside and let him enjoy himself while I enjoyed myself.

While he climbed, we girls chatted, played around with our cameras and took really cool pictures of Sean being Sean. 

It was a really nice day. 

(and we got those cheeseburgers in the end)



You can read more about rock climbing Longdong here






Check out Travel Tuesday!

8 comments

  1. It looks so pretty, I think I would do what you did, the view from the sea cliff is pretty neat!
    Thanks for linking up with #TravelTuesday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, my husband said the views from up top were better, but the coast guard would have needed to come to get me down!

      Delete
  2. What a pretty place!!! I would love to climb over those rocks too, but only the stone field part. The photos of your husband climbing the vertical surfaces are absolutely terrifying!! But like you said, you just gotta trust the other person and let them enjoy. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! They are terrifying! Luckily, I have had more than a decade of proof that he is a monkey.

      Delete
  3. The more I read your blog, the more absolutely convinced I become that Taiwan is goooorgeous! Even with the lack of beach, this looks like a wonderful place to hang out for an afternoon. Oh, how I miss the sea :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Taiwan is gorgeous. It is also really, really ugly too in some places. Hahaha. There is beauty all over the island if you know where to find it!

      Delete
  4. I would have been with you and your friend NOT free climbing those rocks! What a fun day on the ocean, though, even if it wasn't a beach day! Bummer about the sunburns... :( Thanks for sharing on Travel Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am still peeling from that sunburn. I feel like that is a good indicator of how much fun we had a how great the weather was!

      Delete

Hover to Pin