Friday, April 19, 2013

Three old Taiwanese men, a stolen poncho, and a girl named Jessy


This past month has been a lot of go-go-go-go, and unfortunately not the exciting, Jackie-and-Sean-travel-the-globe kind.

Mostly, it's been a lot of work for me and a lot of school for Sean.

But I don't want you to think nothing blog-worthy has happened.

Because that is so not the case.

So are you ready for a tale?

It involves three old Taiwanese men, a stolen poncho, and a girl named Jessy.

Okay, so once upon a time we asked to have our AC units cleaned. Min, our awesome go-to man, arranged for these gruff, no-nonsense locals to come over and take care of our little problemo.

The only issue?

Well, it's not like they could exactly call us up to tell us they were on their way.

For two reasons really. 

First, we speak English. They don't.

Second, well, we haven't paid our phone bill in about four months because the only people who would call us up were hookers.

Are you feeling lonely tonight?

Yeah, no thanks.

So, I go to school and get shit on by a bird thus making it necessary to go home and shower the poo out of my hair and all of the sudden there are three old Taiwanese men in the hallway.

Yup.

I was naked. In the shower. And the door was open.

Even better?

Sean was in bed. In his man panties. 

The cheery on top?

The workers were completely unfazed by any of it.

How they had keys to our apartment? Who knows.

Why the fact that one naked and one nearly naked white person did not bother them in the slightest? Even a greater mystery.

They simply got to work, talking between themselves I'm sure about these crazy Americans.

Well, our AC units are mold free so I guess we cannot complain.

Two days later, we head to the movies in a downpour because our cabin fever escalated to the point we were cleaning for fun.

No way.

We donned our (hideously) unattractive ponchos and laid them out on the bike to dry and we watched (the god awful) Host only to find someone had stolen both of our ponchos. 

Then, the next day I went to Starbucks to get coffee and a worker asked me my name.

"Jackie," I said.

So naturally every time I go in I get a chorus of "HELLO JESSY!" and it even says so on my grande mocha cup.

Every time.

And I don't know about you, but I kind of like it.

Every time I go to Starbucks, I get to pretend to be this girl named Jessy.

And one thing I'm learning about her is that she loves to get a lemon tart with her order of coffee.

Every time.

I think I like this girl.

1 comments

  1. I laughed SO hard at this story! Your humor writing is spot on! I'm moving to Taichung in July to teach at an international school, and I've really enjoyed reading your blog :-) thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Hover to Pin