Saturday, May 24, 2014

Taipei Botanical Garden

I am no botanist.

Beyond the basics of rose, lavender, palm tree, lotus, fern, orchid and cactus, I am out of both knowledge and vocabulary when it comes to anything plants.

That did not stop me from enjoying the time we spent wandering around the Taipei Botanical Gardens, an almost 100 year old, 8 hectare garden full of greenhouses + themed gardens and ponds.

More so than reading the placards and learning about the immense variety of plant species in the park, I was more interested in all of the goings on.

A garden is just so busy with all kinds of life!

The old men playing a heated game of chess in the red gazebo.
The lotus bud bundled up tight.
The snail moseying down the wooden walk way.
The ducks splashing around in the pond.
The centipede trekking across the great expanse of the handrail.
The single flourishing flower in the sea of decay.
The neat and tidy pile of fallen leaves a small girl collected.
The baby turtles swimming in circles possibly playing tag.
My favorite activity was snail stalking! That little guy sure did take his time strolling along the path and I had the best time talking to him [I named him Ned] and taking his picture until Sean threatened to leave me in the park with my new friend. 

If anyone wants to visit Ned, here are some travel tips:
  • Take the green line to Xiaonanmen MRT station [leave from exit 2]
  • It's free!
  • If you go at dusk, bring lots and lots of mosquito repellent
  • Signs are mostly in English + Chinese


26 comments

  1. Hahaa sounds like you made a good little friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved Ned. He actually was really interesting. I know that sounds funny but he was.

      Delete
  2. What a charming post, with whimsical photos. Refreshing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The garden was so beautiful and interesting. There were so many things to look at and take pictures of I could have spent all day there.

      Delete
  3. I love the photos and Ned is adorable! LOL (I followed you on the Sunday Traveler link-up) - Heather, Life of a Traveling Navy Wife

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely place and great photography. Ned is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ned was strutting his stuff. I think he knows how cute he is :)

      Delete
  5. I love the detail you picked up on. Great photos. #SundayTraveler

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a great camera that can capture small details so well. It makes photography so much fun!

      Delete
  6. What a gorgeous place. Love your lotus pics! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely pictures! I really appreciate a well-kept botanical garden. They're always on my list if they're in the area we're visiting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sad to admit this but this is the only botanical garden I have ever been to! It's the perfect place to get away from the city feel, which is quite nice because it's in the middle of the city.

      Delete
  8. I am a botanist and I love botanical gardens! All of your photos in this post are amazing (especially of Ned)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great photos! I'm not a big fan of wandering around in gardens either. I don't have much of a green thumb and generally spending too much time in a garden will render me into a bumbling mess of allergic reactions. Great photos though - especially the macro shots!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like you + gardens don't mix well. I'm not gonna lie: by the time we left, I must have had a million mosquito bites.

      Delete
  10. You might not be a botanist (although, based on the words in your second sentence, your vocabulary is much more extensive than mine!), but your photos sure captured the experience!

    And the macro of Ned is fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I felt a little silly. I was literally crawling along side him on my hands and knees. I was wearing a skirt too. My husband was highly amused.

      Delete
  11. Taipei Botanical Garden looks wonderful. Love your photos, especially the cactus one - IMG_1650.jpg (is that cactus, anyway? I'm not too good when it comes to plants).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Um... I think so. It was with all the other cacti and it was prickly. Clearly I wasn't paying that close attention :)

      Delete
  12. Snails are good friends...they never complain too loudly! Cute post.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would love to spend the day here! It looks like such a relaxing and peaceful place, but also great for people (and animal!) watching. And it's free! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Taiwan offers great attractions for free or for such a low cost it hardly even matters. I really enjoy that about the country.

      Delete

Hover to Pin