Tuesday, December 9, 2014

the work of temple bedazzlers


Last weekend, I stumbled across this temple.
It is obviously undergoing some work.
And it made me do a double take because, well, I have never seen a naked temple before.
I am so used to their ornate appearance that at first my mind could not comprehend that, beneath it all, temples are just like every other building in Taiwan: cement + drab + ugly.



And what a juxtaposition this one is; half is bared for the whole world to see and the other half is still clad in colorful tiles and intricate artwork.
Seeing this temple made me appreciate even more these marvelous pieces of artwork.
I mean, just look at what amazing temple bedazzlers are able to do with a huge cement skeleton:




Amazing, right?! 
I know. 







6 comments

  1. I feel like I'm seeing the man behind the curtain here! so weird. also, in my next life I want to be a temple bedazzler.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That is so different. I've never seen a plain temple before and didn't even know they were made from cement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me either, which is funny because everything (at least in Taiwan) is made out of cement.

      Delete
  3. Whoa! I never thought about whats under all the colourful parts on a temple, but I guess this makes sense. It does look a little funny undressed :)

    ReplyDelete

Hover to Pin