Friday, April 11, 2014

hard

Most days, I love my expat life.

But some days are hard.

And some times being an ocean away from loved ones just hurts.


Today my mom, brother and husband got together to celebrate my father's life. 

What did I do? 

Work. 


In Taiwan.

6,083 miles away. 

I didn't get to hug my mother or reflect.


Instead, I cut out game pieces to play vocabulary bingo. 

And this is the hard truth: I won't get this day I missed with my family back. 

I missed it and I will miss other things too.


And I know I've been at this expat life for almost two years now but this is still something that is hard to accept. 

12 comments

  1. Sad... Hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can imagine this was very hard. I've become much better at being away from my family, but when it comes to something like this there is no way you can overcome the distance. I'm sorry it was such a sad day for you xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. And you're right: it's just a few days in particular that are hard to overcome.

      Delete
  3. My condolences. Best of luck focusing on the positives (and lots of Skype sessions!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. We did get to Skype a few times, which made things easier [and harder] at the same time.

      Delete
  4. That must be very hard, I'm sorry. Hopefully you can spend time talking to your family (via Skype or something) and spend time with your friends in Taiwan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A girl's day in Taipei was a good remedy, along with a lot of pita bread + hummus!

      Delete
  5. I'm an expat, too, and I understand. There have been times that my expat friends and I have felt that where we really needed to be was back home instead of away. Sometimes, Skype is not a substitute for being able to touch and hug. I'm wishing for strength for you during this time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I get to go home in 10 weeks and I just keep thinking: better late than never.

      Delete
  6. You write about the very aspect of expat life that is the absolute most difficult. My sincere condolences; the images you post are a beautiful tribute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. The pictures made it at least feel like I was there too. I could imagine their celebration and feel like I was a small part of it too.

      Delete

Hover to Pin