Thursday, April 7, 2016

catching some waves in Kenting

While in Kenting, we stayed at A.S. Surf Shop. The lovely people who run the guest house are friends with my friend's aunt. Okay. That sounded complicated. It's not really. My friend knew we were headed to Kenting and recommended we give this guest house a try, and we are so happy we did! 

A.S. Surf Shop is obviously more than just a guest house. The husband and wife who run the place are totally cool beach people. They surf, kayak and snorkel. The ground level of the guest house is their office. Surf boards, water shoes and wet suits are everywhere! 

Since my husband and friend really wanted to surf, I somehow got suckered into it too. Now, I have been surfing before. One summer, we headed to La Push and went surfing with Sean's dad. The waves were huge that day and no one else was out on the ocean. I caught one wave and cursed the entire time I rode it to shore. 

I knew from experience that surfing was not my thing, but I gave it a try anyways. After getting smacked in the face by a few waves, I was so ready to head back to shore. I caught one wave and then did just that. My happy place was on the beach taking pictures of my guy and friend catch some serious waves (and experience some pretty spectacular spills-- I certainly enjoyed those too). 

But then the guy who was coaching me convinced me to give it a try again, so I did. I put my camera down and headed back out into the water. Sean and my friend had fun capturing my many spills. My teacher was so nice and funny and really wanted me to have a great experience. That's him in the back with his hand up in the air. He so wanted me to succeed! But if you keep scrolling, you will see that I kinda did stand. Kinda. And you will see that there is nothing more ridiculous in the world than me riding a surf board.
In the end, I had a blast. I don't know if I'll ever surf again, but I'm sure not sorry I gave it another shot! 

(And if you ever happen to find yourself in Kenting, I cannot recommend A.S. Surf Shop enough! I never even told them that someone they knew recommended their guest house to us, and they still treated us amazing well! They helped us rent scooters and showed us where to find great beef noodle soup and the bus back north. Plus, their guest house is super cozy and there are two dogs named Beer and Banana! What more could you want?!)





4 comments

  1. I'm so glad you had a wonderful time! :) Now I feel like I ought to go back down to Kenting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are definitely surfing again when you take me with you next time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! You bet! Come see me in Taiwan and we will surf :)

      Delete

Hover to Pin