Monday, August 29, 2016

a Pacific Northwest road trip, part II: Rialto Beach

Rialto Beach is one of the most beautiful and eerie places I have ever been. 

The beauty speaks for itself, I am sure. 

But the eeriness? 

How often does your walk on the beach include a full forest, literally growing out of the sand? I have tried to find literature about this beach online, but mostly all I come across is the same term: coastal forest. 

Well, duh. 

However, I'll say it again: how often do trees grow out of sand? I just don't know. 

Rialto Beach doesn't look like any other beach I've been on in Washington State or Oregon, not even the ones just a few miles south of it. The trees are so barren and wind battered. This is literally the perfect setting for a mystery or horror film. 

It's weird, then, to say that it is also the perfect setting for watching the sunset with your husband, bonfire crackling and the tide crashing ashore. 

But it is. 


0 comments

Post a Comment

Hover to Pin