Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Portland's rose garden

Last summer, my mom & I took the Amtrak from Seattle to Portland to enjoy a ladies' getaway! While I will write more about my not so stellar overall impression of Portland later, today I am going to rave about its rose garden, which is located in Washington Park along with a lot of other goodies.

This garden actually has a really cool history. It was created after the start of WWI with the goal of preserving European rose species that were threatened by the conflict. The garden's actual name is the International Rose Test Garden. Today, its main purpose is to test new varieties of roses. According to the garden staff, there are more than 8,000 rose bushes that bloom from May to November.

We went in August and the garden was bursting with color and life! Visiting Washington Park was hands down my favorite thing we did during our 3 day 2 night stay in the city, and the beautiful rose garden is definitely a major reason why! The garden provides a self-guided tour to maximize your time spent in the garden!
I also have more to share about the Japanese garden located in Washington Park! 

3 comments

  1. I love all the flowers! What a beautiful place!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure was!! And it smelled amazing too :)

      Delete
  2. Pretty! I've only been to Portland a handful of times, but it's funny you seem to have the same impression I do! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Hover to Pin