Saturday, March 22, 2014

a tour of the neighborhood

 


My new camera has given me the inspiration and the motivation to get out and explore more. Sometimes my explorations require high speed trains and taxis, sometimes they require a scooter and sometimes like today they just require my own two feet.

I am usually pretty busy during the weekdays so the weekends are my time to hobby. I find myself wondering: where can I go to take pictures? Where is an interesting and photogenic place I can venture to so I can practice using my awesome new camera?

But then today I realized: I live in Taiwan. I blog about my life in Taiwan so five years, ten years, twenty years down the road I can look back and feel connected to this monumentally life altering experience. And the truth is, regardless of where you live, not every location is cool or photogenic or beautiful. But that doesn't mean those places aren't picture worthy. They are because despite the fact they may be humdrum, they are real and interesting and bursting with life and deserve to be remembered all the same.

So in that spirit, I spent a good portion of my Saturday afternoon wandering through my neighborhood and fiddling with my camera and receiving a fair share of inquisitive looks from locals wondering what on earth I found so noteworthy about the buildings and doors and scooters.

So here it is, my little corner of Taiwan, in all of its ordinary glory:

 







 
 


 
 
So this is it. This is real. It's kinda worn down. It's not much to look at. But these are the streets where my life happens and these are the non distinct places I will want to remember just as much as the famous temples and markets and attractions.
 
These are the streets I walk down nightly holding hands with Sean. These are the streets I scoot down when I have run out of bread and I need some from the mart down the street for the dinner that is cooking in the toaster oven. These are the streets where I have conversations in broken English with locals who want to know what I think of their country [or if I am lost].
 
These places have come to mean something to me.


10 comments

  1. Great photos! This has inspired me to get out and photograph my own neighborhood. Sometimes we don't realize that the best photos are right in front of us. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My next mission will be to photograph the people in the neighborhood. That will require some courage as I only know how to say "hello" in Chinese.

      Delete
  2. The way you capture your neighborhood is really beautiful! It is worn, but not in a negative way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I find that I can see things in a new light through the lens of my camera.

      Delete
  3. I love this idea and I'm going to steal it and take my husband for a walk around our neighbourhood tonight. It's too dangerous for us to walk with expensive equipment here though, so I'll just be snapping with my camera phone. You're right about recording those ordinary aspects to your life in Taiwan - those are some of the most special.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you have fun! I know I take for granted that Taiwan is one of the safest countries in the world!

      Delete
  4. I love the neighborhood scenes. Beautiful photographs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! I had a lot of fun taking these photos and ran into a lot of curious and super friendly locals.

      Delete

Hover to Pin