Thursday, March 20, 2014

fresh air

 
 
We are entering the most dreaded part of the year for me here in Taiwan: summer time.
 
I know you're thinking that I skipped over spring completely but Taiwan does not do spring. This country has two seasons: winter and summer.
 
I love winter despite the rain [and trust me, when your sole form of transportation is a scooter rain is beyond a hassle] simply because I can walk outside and not melt into a puddle instantly. The Washingtonian in me cannot handle Taiwan's summer: 90 degrees Fahrenheit coupled with one billion percent humidity.
 
I've been grumpy this week because the change is starting to happen. I was hot and sweaty at work early this week. Everything in our house was moist because of the crazy humidity. We woke up sticky and went to bed sticky.
 
But then I walked outside today and felt it: cool, crisp, almost completely humid free air along with dark, stormy skies. I was ecstatic! During one of my planning periods today, I strolled around the park directly outside of my school's campus to enjoy what could possibly be one of a handful of days like this left until November rolls around.
 
And everyone else? Besides one little old lady and a few joggers and one sweet dog, it appeared as though all of the locals were huddled up inside waiting for the warm weather to come back.
 
I am starting to think some cultural differences can never be understood.  
 

 
 


 



6 comments

  1. I'm ready for the cold to be gone, but not quite for summer. sadly I think rainy season is next, so we're going to be soggy for the month of April!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot about rainy + humid season. Yipee. Not.

      Delete
  2. We have billion percent humidity here and it's horrible. I spend most of my time under the AC. I don't even think we have a winter here. It's been hot since we arrived and shows no signs of stopping!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would literally drive me crazy. Before we go take another job, I am seriously going to consider climate and whether it is something I can put up with.

      Delete
  3. I read this yesterday, and it sparked a conversation with my husband about the humidity vs fresh air you write about. And how, oh wow, do we ever agree with you! :)

    The climate in Norway is one of my favorite aspects of being an expat here.

    (And we both laughed at "... it appeared as though all of the locals were huddled up inside waiting for the warm weather to come back ...")

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! One of the things I am most looking forward to when visiting home this summer is the cooler summer season!

      Delete

Hover to Pin