Tuesday, March 11, 2014

creature comforts



I have a confession to make: I am not a hard core expat by any means! I know people who move to places that are so remote and removed from everything they know that every aspect of their lives have to change. That has not been my experience as an expat. Taiwan is fairly westernized and Hsinchu has a few import shops and you can get anything and everything you have a craving for in Taipei.

What's more is that I receive regular care packages from my wonderful and amazingly generous mom that make the ocean separating Taiwan and the US seem a lot smaller and make my cravings for home dissipate a little.

The contents of the packages are usually the same:
World Market products along the lines of dried soups, pastas, earrings, scone mixes, etc.
Trader Joes products along the lines of licorice, gnocchi, trail mix, etc.
Safeway products along the lines of fried onion straws, taco seasoning mixes, spinach tortillas, ranch packets, etc.
Target products along the lines of makeup, face wash, tee shirts, tampons, deodorant, etc

Basically, I live in Taiwan but my dear mother keeps us supplied with the must-haves from back home. Most of the items we truly cannot get in Taiwan but some of the others are just things we want in particular from home.

Does Taiwan sell deodorant? Of course.
Is it what I want to slather in my armpits? No.
It just doesn't smell right.

We all have our creature comforts, the things we want because they're what we know and like.

And today is one of those glorious days when Sean + I get to rip into a new care package, which is huge and weighed nearly 30 pounds, and roll around in delight on the floor a midst our new goodies like hot pink polka dot cozy sweatshirts and red velvet chocolate bars!

Thanks mom!!!

  

12 comments

  1. That's so nice you get care packages! I got one from home at Christmas time and it had some Aussie essentials (mainly just milo!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love getting care packages! Although my pants are usually a little tight a week after one arrives because we binge eat the goodies until they're gone. Yum yum!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Um... sorry! Those lasted for two days and then they were gone.

      Delete
  3. My mom and dad are the same. They are divorced so I usually am getting a package or so every other month. They are not always huge, but they always have a goodie or two. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never had a care package from home - we always live in places with no postal systems, or in the case of SA, everything we could ever want ever! It's funny what you miss though. We're lucky to live in an expat community where loads of stuff is imported, so whilst it's expensive you never really struggle to find what you want or similar. And yet I still miss the specifics of home - certain brands of sweets for instance, or a flavour of a dessert that they don't carry here. Your Mum is lovely for putting so much care into those packages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mom is, in my rather biased opinion, the BEST mom on earth! She's come to Taiwan twice and each time she brought a 50-pound suitcase stuffed with food, treats, beauty products, clothes, shoes, etc. She's a saint!

      I know what you mean about missing the flavor of home. We can get a lot of things here but they sometimes just don't taste quite right. It's funny that food can make you homesick.

      Delete
  5. I need to send my mom a list! I miss Trader Joes and Target!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mom gets lists frequently! I have already put in my dinner menu request for my first night back home after one year and eight months in Asia. She's a trooper.

      Delete
  6. Packages from home, big or small are so awesome!! Or when someone brings a suitcase full of stuff!! I got one coming in May!! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My petite mom brings a 50-pound suitcase (EVA Air's max weight limit) each time she comes overflowing with stuff just for us! She needs help getting it off the conveyor belt at the airport!

      Delete

Hover to Pin