Saturday, June 21, 2014

expat anniversary



We are coming up on our second expat anniversary.

Nearly two years ago, we gave away the majority of our stuff, packed up the rest and boarded a plane that would take us from home to the unknown.

The past two years have been extraordinary.
Literally.
The definition of extraordinary is very unusual or remarkable.

And the past two years of our lives have certainly been both.

Don't get me wrong, life abroad is still just life.
Sometimes life is beautiful.
Sometimes life is joyful.
Sometimes life is one big adventure.
And sometimes life is ugly.
And sometimes life is painful.
And sometimes life is monotonous.

Life in Taiwan has been all of that.
Life in America was all of that too.
Life anywhere is all of that.

But there is something unique about life as an expat.
I like to think of it as life magnified.
For me, the beauty is even more beautiful.
The joy is more joyous.
The adventure more adventurous.
Likewise, the ugly is uglier.
The pain more painful.
And the monotony even more monotonous.

I have loved Taiwan and loathed Taiwan, sometimes in the same day.
I have been awed by Taiwanese culture and I have felt disgusted by it too.
I have adapted and my perspective has been forced to expand dramatically.

I am a very different person than I was two years ago.

I am braver.
I am healthier.
I am happier.
I am stronger.
I am calmer.
I am more flexible.
I am even more driven.
I am an even bigger dreamer.

And I am grateful for it all.
If I could go back in time two years, I would still get on that plane.



6 comments

  1. Congratulations on not only living two years abroad, but loving it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's amazing looking back to see how much experiences change us. It's a funny old life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great reflection - kudos on acknowledging how the experience has impacted. Cheers to more anniversaries :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!!! I hope for many, many more too :)

      Delete

Hover to Pin