Monday, October 5, 2015

just a little further

Sometimes, I forget to keep a hold of the bigger picture. Sometimes, life and all of its small details get the best of me. Sometimes, on a Sunday afternoon, I get in a fight with my husband because life feels so go-go-go-go-go, and I feel strapped for time to do the things that bring me joy.

So then he pushes me out the door with my scooter keys to a waiting friend. 

And then pure magic happens up in the hills of Taiwan. 

In general, I am a pretty easy going person. But sometimes this tension builds in me, and I feel ready to explode because of my interminable to-do lists (any teacher knows exactly what I am talking about). But that is not who I am, not really. I know better than to be that person. I know better than to let my work control my life. 

But.

I am human, and even though I know better, it still happens. 

Lately, I have been in a whirlwind of work. I have taken on a new high school language arts class. I already had four middle school classes, each with nearly 30 students in them. Some days I question what on earth I was thinking, but other days I love my new class. My motto as of late has been: just a little bit further-- just 10 more tests to grade, just two more classes to plan this week, just four more weeks of first quarter.

This weekend, I embraced that motto but I did it by leaving work behind. I did it by embracing my true self. This adventurous, joyful person. My friend and I took off into the mountains on our scooters and got L-O-S-T. We had no plan and no destination. Our only goal was to seek and discover and scoot. 

First, we found a mountain. And then we went a little bit farther. Then we found a cave and river. And then we went a little bit farther. At every juncture, we would turn and say, "Want to keep going? Just a little bit farther? Just around that corner? Just through the tunnel? Just across that bridge? Just to that temple?"

And all the while, I felt like I was scooting closer and closer to my truth. And that is that I am a B-U-S-Y person, and finding a work-life balance is sometimes easier said than done. I work a lot, and when I work, I work hard. 

But when I play, I play hard too. 

My truth also includes meandering scoot adventures in the mountains with friends who say yes. Yes, let's go just a little bit further. Yes to through that tunnel, yes to across that bridge, yes to the top of that mountain and beyond.

My truth includes a husband who wants me to live the fullest life I can, so I can be the best version of myself possible-- even if that means literally shoving me out the front door so I can forget about my teacher to-do lists and my household to-do lists. 

So while I have my headaches and my 8-4 job, I also shriek with glee as I zoom on my moped through the tall, green, misty mountains of Taiwan on a journey to see nothing and everything at the same time.

And I don't know about you, but I think that is totally beautiful, and something to see me through making it just a little bit further along those to-do lists until those days I get to make it a just a little bit farther along those beckoning twisting roads.




6 comments

  1. I love this! You'll have to take me on a scooter adventure someday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What gorgeous pictures! I love seeing your adventures come to life through pictures! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you decided to get out and see the sites

    ReplyDelete

Hover to Pin