Thursday, November 26, 2015

gratitude for friends & fun

HAPPY THANKSGIVING
(at least to those of you living in Asia land like me)

So it's Thanksgiving and I worked all day.
You might think that sounds awful, but I have to admit that after four years, I am totally used to it. We very seriously considered skipping out on my school's potluck and getting pork buns instead-- because pork buns are what I am craving today, not turkey and mashed potatoes. But, in the end, we have decided not to be antisocial. I mean, we kinda like our friends so hanging out with them for a few hours doesn't sound all that bad, even if it does mean we have to miss out on seriously delicious pork buns.

Anyway, I am rambling. 

What I really want to say is this-- yes, I worked today. But I am so thankful for this situation, even if it means I work on Thanksgiving (and Christmas). 

To me, it's still totally worth it.

And today, I am grateful for:

The fact that my loans will be 100% paid off next month. Take that student loans. The fact that I have the best husband in the entire world (not that I am biased or anything). The fact that I really didn't mind spending today at work because I really, really like my students. The fact that it has finally cooled down so I can wear scarves and gloves!  The fact that I will get almost four full weeks off in about 7 weeks!

And the fact that days like the one shown in these pictures here are a regular part of my life.

Last weekend, four of us ladies putted off into the mountains on our scooters. It was an absurdly beautiful late November day. I am talking azure sky and warm sunshine. The route was long and beautiful. In fact, it reminded me of Hawaii. We ended up at a lavender farm. It was adorable and smelled great. Plus, I ate an ice cream cone that looked like a panda bear. 

What more could I possibly ask for? 

Here, part of my life may include working on American holidays, but it also includes amazing friends, wickedly fun adventures, a cute little scooter and so much happiness that I could just burst. 
And the mother :)

2 comments

  1. I've always enjoyed working on the holidays - especially now as I get the whole office to myself, and I never mind working Christmas eve and what not. I like to think that you can make a difference to people's holidays seasons by helping them out when they are just trying to get ready for their holidays.

    Plus, I make my own holidays to make up for it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think if I had never taught in America, I would be fine with it. But those 4-day weekends and 2-week breaks are nice. Although, I truly believe the 1-month holiday in the middle is better.

      Delete

Hover to Pin