Saturday, July 19, 2014

Lavender Festival



Attending the Sequim Lavender Festival has become one of my favorite summer traditions. Usually, my mom and I head north to wander the fields of purple, buy copious amounts of lavender scented body products and picnic under the sun while listening to live folk music. 

Sequim, Washington, which is located in Western Washington, was not always full of fields of purple. In the mid-1990s, local farmers searched for a way to use the neglected fertile fields of the Sequim Prairie. They wanted to do more with the land than just graze herds or grow foodstuffs. They wanted to do something that would cause both locals and tourists and passersby to appreciate more than just the water and mountain views but also the gorgeous land itself. 

After careful research, the answer happened to be lavender. 

Sequim is known for being the retirement community of the Western Washington. It draws the elderly for a few reasons. One of them is the great weather. The Pacific Northwest in general, especially Seattle and the rest of Western Washington, is known for being a wet and dreary place. However, Sequim, due its location within the Olympic Rain Shadow, experiences far better weather than the rest of the region. In general, the weather in Sequim is drier and sunnier. 

This makes the region perfect for growing lavender, which does best in warm and dry places. 

Initially, a handful of local farmers began converting their fields to lavender fields and the concept spread. Now, every summer there is a three-day lavender festival. The whole town is taken over by purple and the farms are open for tours and offer food and live music. Even if you cannot attend the festival itself, most of the farms are still open for tours year round and some even have shops in downtown Sequim where customers can buy house and bath products. 


































36 comments

  1. Sooooo pretty, one of my friends went and I'm so jealous!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your friend is lucky! This festival is fabulous.

      Delete
  2. Amazing festival! I am curious about the ice cream! Love lavender! We have lots of it here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never tried the lavender flavored ice cream. While I love the smell of lavender, I am not so sure I want to eat it :)

      Delete
  3. A lavender festival? With lavender ice cream?? Umm, yes please! Will definitely have to check this out the next time I head that way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is definitely worth a visit. And the farms are open year round in case you happen to be in the area and the festival is not happening.

      Delete
  4. I showed this to my mom who LOOOVES lavender and I'm pretty sure she's packing a suitcase as I write this. Fantastic read and BEAUTIFUL photos :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! Well, I would say it's well worth the trip!

      Delete
  5. This place looks amazing! They have similar farms in the South of France, and that's the only other place I've ever seen lavender ice cream :). Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's what everyone says. Sequim looks like France (at least in the sense that it's purple).

      Delete
  6. An entire festival dedicated to my favorite color? Plus beautiful flowers, ice cream, and more... Count me in! Love your photos, so glad to have found you on the #SundayTraveler!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! It is truly a lovely festival. My favorite part is going to the gift shops and stocking up on soaps.

      Delete
  7. Honestly, I hate plants! They kinda freak me out (yes I'm weird) though I absolutely love Lavender! I love the smell and I love their purple colour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! The fields truly smell spectacular so maybe it would be worth it for you in the end :)

      Delete
  8. OMG, beautiful! I love lavender, its my favorite scent of all time and the color... simply lovely! Thanks for sharing these wonderful shots!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I am super fond of the lavender + pomegranate scents. It's super yummy!

      Delete
  9. Looks so pretty and I bet it smells amazing! (www.shoutingchow.com)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I absolutely love lavender! I didn't know there was a lavender festival in washington, what a great idea those farmers had to convert their fields! Your photos are absolutely amazing I have to say! I particularly love the second photo of the lavender from up close, gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they were super smart! Now, tourism is a huge part of the town's economy.

      Delete
  11. Your photos are gorgeous. My roommate in college was from Sequim and she always spoke very highly of the town!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a special place. It's very remote from other places so I don't think I could live there but I know people who are very proud of growing up there. They just love it.

      Delete
  12. A lavender festival! How cool. It's beautiful and your pictures are just lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a lovely festival! I've never heard of it despite being so close. Hope you're enjoying home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely check it out! You could drive down I-5 and take the ferry over!

      Delete
  14. Ahhhh, I can almost smell it now... I've yet to try Lavender ice cream but Lavender cupcakes are pretty, and yummy as well. Very nice pictures. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm.... lavender cupcakes sound interesting!

      Delete
  15. Fabulous pictures... This festival sounds great, I love lavender.

    ReplyDelete
  16. My lavender-crazy sister who lives in Tacoma was just bemoaning missing this festival to visit relatives in North Dakota - small world! Your photos of it are really impressive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She can go visit the farms whenever she wants. But I totally understand her disappointment. It's more fun with the live music!

      Delete
  17. Beautiful! I can't believe I've never made it to this festival yet, but I'm definitely going to make it happen when I go back home to WA :) Thanks for sharing your lovely photos-- I feel like I can smell the lavender just looking at them.

    ReplyDelete

Hover to Pin