Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Port Townsend: Home Sweet Home



I think most travelers stumble across a place that steals their heart.
A place that is more than just a place.
For me, my special place is one simple hour away from my childhood hometown and not a plane ride away or on another continent or in another country.
My special place is a little town called Port Townsend.

Port Townsend, Washington is my place for a few reasons.
First, it's where I started out.
It's where we started out.
It marked the beginning of my career and marriage and intrepid lifestyle.

But it's also so much more than that too.
The town is like no other place on earth (at least that I have found so far).
The physical feature are stunning: Mt Baker peeks up over the clouds, the Olympic & Cascade Mountains rise up in the distance, the Strait of Juan de Fuca meets the Puget Sound, islands poke up through the water and beaches and forest line the landscape.
The human features are intriguing: Port Townsend is artistic and playful and a little old fashioned with its Victorian homes and waterfront buildings with huge, worn murals painted on the sides and subcultures here and there.
It's a unique place that just feels like home to me.

Plus, there is an old fashioned ice cream parlor.
















What's not to love??






0 comments

Post a Comment

Hover to Pin