Sunday, July 13, 2014

finding a little norway in america

Downtown Poulsbo is such a fun place.

You get in your car certain you are in America and you get out of your car five minutes later certain you are in Scandinavia.

The town was originally settled by a Norwegian immigrant in the late 19th century and became a popular place for Scandinavian immigrants. Originally, the town was named Paulsbo, after Paul's Place, a town in Norway, but due to the founder's poor handwriting, authorities in D.C. misread it and ever since the town has been called Poulsbo.

Close enough, right?

Poulsbo, especially the older town center along the waterfront, has a distinct Scandinavian feel. I love taking a stroll and looking at the unique architecture and shops and goods [especially the ones in the bakery display window].













The only problem is when you decide to take your stroll at 10pm and the bakery and bookstore are closed.

I guess that just means I'll have to come another day so I can eat the donut of my dreams while sitting in the corner of the bookshop people watching.




6 comments

  1. It looks very pleasant, not like something you would imagine when thinking of a city in the states!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! That's what I love about it! :)

      Delete
  2. Very cool! Where in the States is this? I've never heard of it before!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is in Washington State along the Puget Sound.

      Delete
  3. So cute! I've never heard of this town. I love how there are little enclaves of other countries all around the US.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wouldn't be a very far trip from Vancouver! It's the cutest little town!

      Delete

Hover to Pin