Thursday, August 28, 2014

no end of summer blues here + my new twitter account

Next week, school officially starts.
The kids will come, lessons will be planned, papers will be marked and the weeks and months will start to roll by.
This is about the time I normally start to get the end of summer blues.
No more sleeping in or staying up late, no more endless days to fill with whatever I please and no more feeling of complete and total freedom.
Plus, I will actually have to get dressed in the morning.
But I am okay with the end of summer this time because I think this year is shaping up to be extraordinary.
In fact, I cannot wait for it all to start!
What am I so looking forward to?
Travel, of course!
We have some truly spectacular things brewing for the 2014-2015 school year!

-----

three week new zealand road trip
We are heading to New Zealand with two of our super awesome friends in January. We are going to spend three weeks road tripping all over both islands. Right now, apart from having purchased our airfare, that is as far as I have come with planning. I anticipate some Sundays at Starbucks obsessing over guidebooks/blogs are in my future! 
Do you have any NZ travel tips? I'd love to hear them!

24 hour layover in seoul, south korea
We intentionally booked out flight back to Taiwan from New Zealand with a 24-hour layover in South Korea. I have to be honest here. Apart from Jeju Island, South Korea was never high up there on my list of places to go. Maybe one day in the city will change that and I will be dying to go back. Our flight lands early afternoon and then leaves the next afternoon. It should be an action packed adventure!
So we have 24 hours in Seoul! What should we do/see/eat?? Tell me! 

one week birthday/graduation celebration in tokyo + hokkaido, japan
My amazing husband is hitting two pretty impressive milestones this March. He is turning the big 3-0 and he is graduating with his degree in education. Guys, this is a.big.deal. He will be the first one in his immediate family to graduate from college and he will be one of the very, very few in his huge extended family to graduate from college. You have no idea how hard this man has worked over the past two years so we can live our dream come true. So we are gonna live it up in Japan! My man loves, loves, loves all things Studio Ghibli so we will start in Tokyo and go to the museum and then fly north to Hokkaido to eat massive amounts of ramen and ski until our legs fall off! 
Have you been to Hokkaido or the Studio Ghibli museum? What do I need to know? Dish please! 

two week eastern european tour with kiddos
I have had this crazy idea stewing in my head for years: lets take some students somewhere cool for a while. I have tried unsuccessfully (due to money) to do this before but now it's coming together nicely. It looks like my friend/colleague and I will be taking a group of 18 students to Eastern Europe for two weeks. We will explore Hungary, Romania, Bulgaria and Turkey! I am super stoked. The best part is that Sean gets to come and so does friend/colleague's wife!
Have you been to Hungary/Bulgaria/Romania/Turkey? Did you love it??

summer fun in the usa
We will be spending some of next summer back at home in Washington State. My cool big brother is getting married and we are going to fly home so we can be a part of the big day!

and a tentative hong kong ladies weekend {at disneyland}
When? Who knows. That's the beauty of being a one hour flight away from hong kong! 

-----

So you see, I really have nothing to be upset about.
So what school is starting?
Will I have to hear the alarm go off?
Yes.
But still, look at all the exciting things I have to look forward to this year!!!!
And in other news, you can follow along with all of these exciting adventures on my new twitter account!







This post is part of the Sunday Traveler link up. Check out Pack Me To for more great travel writing + photos! 

18 comments

  1. How great is that about the Eastern Europe trip! You will have a ball and I'm sure be kept busy with 18 students!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I know they will keep me busy! I sure hope it's a good idea :)

      Delete
  2. I'M SO EXCITED FOR ALL OF THIS! and also, girls weekend at Hong Kong Disneyland :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How could I forget HK lady weekend??

      Delete
  3. These are awesome trip plans! I am very envious, but cannot wait to follow along. The husband and I are very bad about planning our trips in advance, but upcoming we have a weekend getaway (for an edu conference for him) to Prague, a 6 day trip to Copenhagen and Malmo, and perhaps during Christmas we will go to Hungary to see some Christmas markets. I can't wait! Good luck with the start of your semester :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhhh! A Prague weekend getaway! You European expats make me so jealous sometimes.

      Delete
  4. What an exciting year!! That sounds like quite the task - taking 18 students to Eastern Europe. I've only been to Budapest of the ones you listed (so far) and I LOVED it. The food is amazing too!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does sound like quite a task, huh? I hope it's a fun task!

      Delete
  5. That sounds like an amazing lot of travel coming up! We went to the Studio Ghibli Museum last year (post somewhere on my blog) and it was AMAZING! Enjoy! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! I will check out your blog to see if I can find your post :)

      Delete
  6. Jacqueline, You certainly do have some wonderful travel plans. It's how I look at a new school year, too, which for me started with kiddos last week. Seoul for the day, go to the palace, then to Naedaemun Market. Try the dulbogi dipped in million people dip...spicy and just a cool place. The Ghibli is awesome...make sure to buy your tickets before you go online. They have a bus that will pick you up from the train station..all that info is on their website. Hokkaido is cold! While you are there, don't miss an onsen. Make sure you pick one that has a "rotenburo" or outside tub. They are so comfortable in the winter. It sounds like you are going to Istanbul...eat the fish sandwiches across from the Yeni Camii. I have posts on all of these things. You are going to have a banner year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANKS! All of these tips are exactly what I was hoping for!

      Delete
  7. Hurray for the new Twitter account :) So many fabulous travel plans for the upcoming year. So jealous! I could easily talk your ear off about Hungary / Budapest. Eastern Europe is gonna be so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trust me, I have lingered on your blog looking at what you have on Eastern Europe!

      Delete
  8. How cool that you're going to NZ in January!! I'm moving there in October - I have a visa that's good for a year, so I plan on taking full advantage of it! I haven't been yet myself either, so I've been trying to accumulate travel tips as well. The fall semester will go fast, and all your travel plans look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jealous! NZ seems like a dreamy place to live! I can't wait to visit.

      Delete
  9. Wow, looks like you will have a great and busy year! Have just been traveling in Japan for five weeks. Loved it! Fantastic country with delicious food! Did not go to Hokkaido, but spent two weeks in Tokyo. Crazy city (in a good way..)! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to experience Tokyo! Do you have any must-do tips??

      Delete

Hover to Pin