Monday, September 8, 2014

a traditional taiwanese market



This photo perfectly represents a traditional Taiwanese market.
These markets are typically wedged down alleyways off of really busy roads and crammed in between tall, dilapidated apartment buildings.
They are crowded + hot + humid + smelly + loud + bright + rudimentary.
In two words, a night market is sensory overload.
I often feel like I float through one, kind of like the picture above suggests.
And every time I leave one, I am sweaty and a little shell shocked by my experience.




At the market, scooters weave in and out of people.
Pig heads and chicken feet hang out in the open.
Locals bombard you with their excitement and jibber-jabber at you in Chinese.
Sweat drips down your back and beads on your forehead
Scents, some delicious and others not so much, overwhelm you.



What is for sale at these traditional markets?
Fruits + veggies + meats + tofu + noodles + seafood. 
Usually, I don't buy anything.
Instead I just take photos of it all.
Which often times includes the adorable dogs that are helping their owners strum up good business.









Yeah, Taiwanese markets may be a little dirty and stinky.
You may get really overheated and sweaty.
And sometimes you will brush more than just shoulders with the people around you.
But they are still something extraordinary to be experienced, even if only once. 



Have you ever been to a traditional Asian market? What did you think??








14 comments

  1. I have never been to a traditional Asian market but I'd love to! Although they are dirty, humid and rudimentary, I think it would be a great experience!

    sunandsany

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are!! I actually prefer Thai markets over any other Asian markets but the ones in Taiwan are not bad :)

      Delete
  2. Hi! I just wrote a post too about Taiwanese markets, but it will not be visible until later today. That's some really nice pictures! :)
    What program do you use to edit you photos? The colors are really beautiful! I would need something for editing, but I don't want to pay for it and I don't want to waste time on editing.. Feels a little like I'm not going to find anything!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you are getting to explore Hsinchu. It's a cool little place. All of the best finds are up in the mountains nearby.

      I have Lightroom, which I bought a long time ago. I use A Beautiful Mess presets that were $10. I think they are a great deal and they really pop the photo, which I like. I used the preset Charlotte, which essentially just increases the contrast. But I like contrasty pics. They're not everybody's thing but I think they're cool!

      Delete
  3. Your pictures are beautiful! Love the colours :) I love looking at local markets when I travel as I feel like you really get to know a place from the sights and smells of a market. The markets of India were my favourite; so vibrant and buzzing!
    ~ Marcella

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I agree that you really get to know a place from its markets!

      Delete
  4. I love markets around the world! I always try to visit at least one whenever I'm traveling. For the past several years I've also been lucky enough to live near some great markets that I try to do the majority of my vegetable shopping at. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It must be nice to live so close to one. This one is only 15 minutes away but that's 10 minutes longer than the grocery store I shop at :)

      Delete
  5. I've never been to a traditional Asian market, but your pictures make it look amazing! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks exactly like the kind of chaos in which you are absorbed fully into the culture! Must be so cool to people watch in such an environment :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is. An old man followed us around the market for a while showing us things and trying to communicate. It's times like these you are face to face with your host country and experiencing local life. I love it!

      Delete
  7. Really amazing pictures! You captured the chaos and the colors wonderfully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy! Chaotic and colorful are two gets descriptions of a Taiwanese night market!

      Delete

Hover to Pin