Sunday, March 29, 2015

the mystery of the moeraki boulders


These are the Moeraki Boulders.

They are on the Otago Coast of New Zealand's south island and stretch across portions of the Koekohe Beach.

These rock formations are a mind blowing 60 million years old!

While science can easily explain how erosion formed these massive boulders, I much prefer the Maori legend.

According to legend, these rocks are the remnants of a ship wreck that happened long ago.

These are the eel baskets and gourds and potatoes that were on the great canoe that ran aground.

Either way, these boulders are pretty cool and a lot of fun to crawl all over!
We stopped here on our long drive north from Dunedin to Christchurch. We ate lunch, hiked down the beach and watched the tide slowly cover and uncover these massive stones! My only regret was the time of day we visited: midday. There were a lot of people and the tide wasn't optimal. While we didn't really have much of a choice due to our driving route, I do hear this place is magical (and highly deserted) during sunrise. Now I bet that would have been something to behold!


What do you think? Erosion? A ship wreck? Or what?




Check out Travel Tuesday + the Sunday Traveler for more travel writing! 



8 comments

  1. I like that you photographed them in black&white. So beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was looking at the photos and thinking: how can I make people focus more on the stones themselves rather than the blue sky/green water. I'm glad you liked it!

      Delete
  2. The boulders are awesome! I always love interesting rock formations - they do look like they dropped right out of the sky!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look awesome! I'm sure they'd be super fun to climb on.

    https://itsjpei.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were so round they were kinda hard to climb up. It was hard to get a good foothold.

      Delete
  4. I like the idea of the wild tale, but it's nature at its best. Thanks for joining #SundayTraveler.

    ReplyDelete

Hover to Pin