Sunday, June 14, 2015

an impromptu adventure to cave rock

New Zealand was the first time I ever rented a car while travelling.
A scooter? Sure.
But a car? Never.
Normally we get around via train, bus, tuk tuk or boat. 

But, the whole point of New Zealand was to embark on an epic road trip.
And I realized one cool thing about renting a car: it helps you embrace the unexpected.

One day, while in Christchurch, the four of us hopped in our SUV and asked ourselves: what next?
None of us really had an answer.
But you know what did?
Our GPS navigator.
We scrolled through nearby places of interest until we found one that sounded intriguing: Cave Rock.
So we selected that on our navigator, and Sean drove us there.
We drove through Christchurch, all the while chanting left left left left and line line line line to help Sean remember to drive on the left hand side of the road and to stay in the lines. 

Eventually we go to the coast and this is what we found.
A giant cave rock.
The GPS sure wasn't joking around.
We had fun crawling all over it and on the way back our GPS helped us find mouthwatering Thai food. 

Sean and I are pretty adamant about certain things, one being not owning smartphones. 

The reason is really simple: we get by perfectly fine without them, and we would prefer to not be those people who cannot spend two minutes without checking on something. We know ourselves well, and we would totally be those people. So no smartphones for us. 

The only time we question this decision is when we are travelling. But believe it or not, we've been travelling the world for more than a decade without smartphones and we do more than just get by. That said, the GPS made my heart sing. It is the all knowing restaurant and short cut locator. 

I have had my head in the clouds day dreaming about my next few adventures. I think next summer an Icelandic road trip is calling my name.

And you had better believe there will be some impromptu GPS inspired adventures!



2 comments

  1. This is my kind of adventure! See something, think "sounds interesting, no idea what it is... let's go!" and then we head off to investigate :)

    I've never been on a road trip, but I'm looking forward to going on one next year once both of us can drive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a perfect adventure! I have to admit that I was totally petrified to drive an SUV in New Zealand after living in Taiwan for three years and driving nothing but a tiny scooter. I only drove three times while on our road trip. The last time, I had to drive across a scary one lane bridge and immediately pulled over and was like: I am done. Luckily, I have a very indulgent husband :)

      Delete

Hover to Pin