Thursday, August 13, 2015

shaved ice, a taiwanese treat

I had never heard of shaved ice until I moved to Taiwan.
Here, it is the dessert to have. 
Shaved ice stands, both fancy & expensive and plain & cheap, are on practically every street. 
At first, I was skeptical of this treat.
I am an ice cream girl through and through, and the more chocolate the better. 
The first time I was introduced to shaved ice was right when we moved to Taiwan three years ago.
Our friend Peter took us to a nice shop and a huge bowl of mango shaved ice was put in front of me. But then again, shaved ice always come in huge servings. Right away, I wasn't impressed. 
Where was the chocolate and what was with the fruit?
The entire top of my bowl was covered in chunks of fresh mango. 
I tried it and thought it was alright, but I didn't really see why everyone loved it so much. 
Then, one night a few months ago, Sean came home after getting beef noodle soup with some guy friends raving about a shaved ice stand.
It was incredible, he said!
So he took me there.
And they had chocolate shaved ice!!
And that started my love affair, at least with this particular plain & cheap shaved ice stand.
The two young women who run the joint, which is nothing more than a few small plastic tables, a counter and the equipment required to make the ice, know what I want and I don't even have to ask anymore; I just sit down at my rickety plastic table and a few minutes later a mound of chocolaty shaved ice is delivered to me. 
On a hot & humid night, we often find ourselves scooting late at night to this stall so we can people watch on the street side and enjoy a refreshing dessert. 

What's your favorite local dessert??







Travel Notes & Beyond

10 comments

  1. I actually enjoy Taiwanese shaved ice cream. Ice Hub opened a shop in Chiang Mai Thailand and I was told, I must try it and I loved it - fruit and all :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has since grown on me, especially since discovering the chocolate variety!

      Delete
  2. Yum! I love shaved ice desserts in China. I've never had chocolate shaved ice before and am sure I would love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so good, although I have found one I like equally as much: Strawberry!

      Delete
  3. I think that shave ice works so well in Asian countries. Perhaps it is the humidity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure does feel nice to eat in the humidity!

      Delete
  4. Aw man, love! I'm much more a mango gal than chocolate. I don't think I've ever had it with chocolate. Worth trying though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It seems to me the Taiwanese shaved ice is of a better quality than the one I tried in here, in the USA. Looks more like real ice cream. Thanks for joining us for #TheWeeklyPostcard. Please come back next week and bring some of that shaved ice too. I'd love to have some...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried some at a "high end" place, and was like: really? I love the stuff from my little food stall!

      Delete

Hover to Pin