Friday, August 7, 2015

typhoon soudelor

WELL HELLO THERE TYPHOON SOUDELOR!!
HOW DID YOU KNOW I WANTED A 4AM WAKE UP CALL??

Today is an official Typhoon Day, and it has been a busy day for me. It all started at 4 this morning, when a loud bang woke me. I looked out my bedroom's sliding glass door to see the trees dancing and rain falling up. Excited, I hopped out of bed and went to the living room. Our much anticipated guest Typhoon Soudelor had fiiiiiiinally made his appearance. I had been waiting on him since I learned to expect him earlier this week, because I loooooooooove a good storm. 

I made a cup of coffee, grabbed the remnants of the chocolate bar I bought yesterday and sat on the couch to enjoy the storm. This lasted for about 30 seconds. Because 30 seconds after sitting down on the couch, I realized Soudelor was kinda an intense guest. Our front door (which is inside an enclosed apartment building) kept trying to open, only to be caught on the deadbolt. Our sliding glass doors rattled and air whistled loudly from in between minuscule cracks. Our oven fan howled madly every time a gust came (which was a lot).  And sometimes, our whole 7 story cement building shook, kinda like there was an earthquake. 

I spent the next two hours walking from one sliding glass door to the other, partly in glee and partly in horror. In total, we have three. In fact, I came to the realization that our entire apartment is practically one big sliding glass door. Every time the wind raged, which was about every 30 seconds or so, I would eye the glass suspiciously. Then, around 5am, I saw one glass pane appear to buckle inward slightly so then I paced back and forth in the hallway, which happens to be the only place in the whole apartment with no windows, listening to the rattling, whistling and howling. 

Typhoons have their own unique soundtrack, and not all of the noises are pleasant. 

The entire time I paced, I pondered: wow, has it ever been this windy before and maybe we should have bought more water and what happens if the windows give and who on earth would leave their car alarm on knowing a super typhoon was coming?! 

By 6am, annoyance won over precaution and I was standing on our 2nd floor balcony trying to locate the source of a very repetitive and very loud BANG BANG BANG. By this time it was light outside and I could see a metal roofing fixture hanging off of the 7 story building across the street. It was dangling and flapping in the wind. I very quickly went back inside when a gust brought a branch dangerously close to my face, but at least knowing the source of the sound made it annoy me a little less. 

By 7am, I noticed that our laundry room floor was all wet because it was raining sideways and hey, who knew that our windows were not properly sealed in there? Not me!!

Periodically, I would facebook my friend who lives in Taipei. She made me feel better because her apartment was rattling like there was an earthquake too. And it was raining inside her kitchen.

Now it is 10am, the worst seems to be over for Hsinchu City and my husband is making breakfast. I will probably go back to sleep now. When I wake, I will be curious to see how the rest of the country, especially the east coast, fared. 

IT'S BEEN REAL SOUDELOR, BUT YOU CAN GO NOW!






Check out Weekend Wanderlust!

4 comments

  1. I'm glad to hear that everything is alright there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think my city literally got the spared the worst of the storm. I was just in Taipei and could not believe the destruction!

      Delete
  2. As much as I love a good storm, I'm also the person huddled on the sofa convinced they are going to die. Last time we had a thunderstorm, I was at home alone and called my bf at work to tell him I was going to be electrocuted and die. Ever the dramatic one, me. I do refuse to go near the windows in a storm, not sure why, I just refuse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love, love, love thunderstorms. Here, thunder once shook our apartment. It was scary but also so cool!

      Delete

Hover to Pin