Monday, September 21, 2015

a very pacific northwest afternoon

We have been back in Taiwan for about two months now, and lately I have been suffering from homesickness. I think it's because a lot of stuff is happening back home in Washington State. 

Like the fact that my mom just moved into a brand new home and I won't see it until next July. Or the fact that she also got the most adorable dog in the world named Gypsy, who is a German Shepherd mix-- and I won't get to meet her until next July either. There is also the not-so-small fact that I am about to be a first time auntie come this December, and I won't meet my niece Lillian until July too. 

July is asking for a lot of patience, in my opinion. 

I think the homesickness came from Skyping this weekend; everyone (meaning three dogs and a mom, brother, and sister-in-law) was at my mom's new house, and I just got to participate through my computer screen. Four years into this whole expat business, I am pretty used to bouts of homesickness, but they usually occur during the holiday season or spring time, right before we actually get to go home.

September seems a little premature for missing the Pacific Northwest and all of my people. 

But then my husband reminded me of one very true fact: oddly enough, despite the fact that we live in Taiwan, we still get to spend a lot of time at home and with our families, and probably a lot more than many people who don't have an ocean separating them from their people and place.

We spent one full month living with our families this summer, after all! And the summer before that? Two full months! And next summer? We will be back (hopefully with an Icelandic road trip somewhere in the middle)! 

So on days when I feel like I want to jump on a plane just to spend a few hours back at home, I like to sift through the thousands of photos I take every summer while visiting. They are kind of like a security blanket, and proof positive that home will come eventually.

These photos were taken on a classic Pacific Northwest day that included a stroll through a beautiful forest and a picnic sprawled out on green grass bathed in perfect golden sunlight. 

Looking at these photos makes me feel so happy I get these moments at home with my people, and also helps put things into perspective so I can continue to live in the moment and embrace Taiwan. Because Taiwan is great, and when I am at home in Washington, it is definitely a place I become homesick for. 

Weird, huh?



Packing my Suitcase

12 comments

  1. Oh that's hard. Your photos are spectacular, though, and the silver lining is that you're missing the wet season AND you have a family that enjoys Skyping (mine don't). Beautiful post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too true! Sometimes, we ha warm, sunny, balmy December days here in Taiwan, and I smile so hard thinking how lucky I am not to be in Washington!!

      Delete
  2. Aww - I completely know how it feels to be homesick! I actually went to college in Seattle and now in Southern California so I understand missing the beautiful Pacific Northwest. I hope you get to visit soon! xo #MondayEscapes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I am biased, but there is no beauty quite like Washington State. Every time we fly in and fly over the Olympic Mountains and beside Mt Rainier, I tear up a bit.

      Delete
  3. The photos are great. Can see why you are missing those wonderful places and people.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those photos are beautiful! I love taking photos of trees and forests, they are always so magical.
    I don't really get homesick all that often, we haven't been back to the UK in over a year now and when we did it was only for 10 days or so - that was enough for us :) I did have family come stay with us at Christmas though, so we have seen them in between going home and now, but just 10 days haha, more than enough time :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trees are my thing, especially when sunlight is streaking through the leaves!

      Delete
  5. I absolutely hate homesickness!!! I don't think I'll ever get used to it! Lovely pictures though. A walk in the woods always helps to clear your mind ;) Are there any woods you could go to in Taiwan?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are, but there are also a lot of big and scary snakes too. Yikes!!

      Delete
  6. I can only imagine how homesick you must feel, so it must be comforting to look back at your wonderful family shots of the time spent together. Thanks for linking up with #MondayEscapes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a great comfort, but also a great pain too if that makes any sense at all.

      Delete

Hover to Pin