Saturday, September 12, 2015

brothers

My husband is the most grounded person I know. I admire him because he doesn't get mired in the garbage a lot of people I know, including myself, do. He knows what matters to him, and he invests in it. 

And my husband doesn't need or want a whole lot. 

He wants honest work, he wants genuine relationships and he wants time. Time to share meals with friends, time to play tennis with the guys, time to laugh with his wife and time to be with his family. 

I knew my husband was as genuine as it gets when I first saw him with his little brother, who is 8 years younger than him. That was 12 years ago, when we were in high school and his brother was in elementary school. My husband adores his brother, and it is obvious. Even today, when they are both grown and married men. Their connection is still a living, breathing thing. When they get together, joy emanates from them and they enter this world that is just theirs. 

I love it.

But I also know how hard it is for them to be separated for nearly an entire year. That's part of what makes days like this one-- days spent playing at the ocean and being boys-- so important. 

Summer is never enough, not for either of us or our families. 
But it is what we get, and we make the most of it. 




4 comments

  1. What a lovely post! It's true you can tell a lot about a person based on how they treat their family. Hope you had fun splashing around with the boys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!!! I did, although I did not try to skimboard. I left that up to the boys!!

      Delete
  2. This story of your husband and his brother is one of the best stories I've heard.. it's really nice to have a good relationship with your family.
    I too have this great relationship with my sister. She's our oldest and I can't remember when we started to get along very well. We live in different cities now, and every time we meet, we talk nonstop, but what we really love doing is to shop. I guess we get along well because we have the same taste in fashion. She was an aspiring fashion designer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, that's so nice! I too have a wonderful big brother, but there is something about the age gap that makes my husband's relationship with his wittle brother super special!

      Delete

Hover to Pin