Friday, September 11, 2015

you win some, you lose some

The second week of school felt looooooong. So long, I was ready for the weekend on Monday. Don't get me wrong-- my new kids are great, and I really don't mind my job. It's just that I have had a terrible chest infection all week. I'm talking sore throat and coughing fits and sneeze attacks. That combo always sucks, but it especially sucks when your job is to talk to and direct 30 middle school students at once.

Luckily, my kids are nice and did not take advantage of my weakened state. Instead, they gave me tissue and asked me if I was okay when my face turned bright red from coughing.

I think part of the problem was the fact that the "cold medicine" that had been living in my desk drawer since last year was actually heartburn medication. I only learned this yesterday, after a coworker saw the package on my desk and kindly explained to me that heartburn medication would not exactly provide relief from my current cold. What I thought was an image of a person with angry lungs who needed cough relief was instead an image of someone with a burning esophagus who actually needed heartburn relief.

I laughed pretty hard at the discovery, and cried a little on the inside.

It sure explains a lot, like why I never felt any better after taking it. What can I say? You win some, you lose some. This week, I think I lost, but just a little.




2 comments

  1. Owww I feel your pain! Heartburn medicine for a chest infection sounds painful! Hope you're on the mend soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it wasn't my best moment! And thanks for the well wishes! I spent today in bed, and I think I finally feel better (I am sure the real cough medicine helped too)!

      Delete

Hover to Pin