Sunday, September 27, 2015

sunburned on the back of a scooter

Phew! We made it through the first month of school! It was a long month that included a lot of late nights grading papers & lesson planning (and meals to go).  But things are finally starting to slow down a bit-- I have a handle on my new 9th grade language arts class and Sean has a handle on teaching 4th grade for the first time ever.

So instead of the usual weekend spent doing household chores that were neglected all week or catching up on work, we scooted off into the hills with some good friends.

These are the friends we have traveled the world with who recently moved from Hsinchu to Taipei. We miss them a lot, so it was so great to get to hang out with them and go on a mini adventure. I mean, it was no New Zealand or Thailand and Bali or Hong Kong, but it was still pretty awesome. And much more convenient.

We took them to a few places we just recently discovered-- Beipu and Emei. Since I had been to both of these places before, I was more interested in the mountainous scenery that never gets old and the feel of the wind all around me. It was so refreshing to leave the city and forget about work for a while. 
We wandered through temples and nights markets. We bought honey lollipops, green tea, and sausages on a stick. We laughed and splashed around in a cold spring. We pulled over on to the side of the road to take a lot of pictures & polaroids. 

We got sunburned and sweaty. 
And we wondered if my white little scooter would make it up a few mountain hills. 

It was such a beautiful day, and now I feel refreshed and ready to take on that pile of papers waiting to be graded. Unless, that is, my dream comes true and we will finally have a Taiwanese "snow day", which here means a typhoon day. Typhoon Dujuan is bearing down on us, and Hsinchu is expecting a direct hit. 

Is it wrong that I am hoping for many downed trees so school might be cancelled?? 





4 comments

  1. Wandering around new places on the scooter definitely is the best way to explore a country. Even if includes getting sunburned. :)
    Taiwan is definitely the country, I would like to visit again. I've only been to Taipei and I was so amazed by their culture, food and the beauty of the city.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every time I read your blog I get some serious Asia wunderlust! I want to head to Asia so so badly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! Wanderlust is a real thing; I know all about it. Right now, I am having Icelandic wanderlust coupled with a side of Mongolian wanderlust. Can you tell I am all about remote places and nature?

      Delete

Hover to Pin