Sunday, February 23, 2014

how to make the most of the weekend


Does this sound familiar: it's Friday afternoon and the start of the weekend and you get home, put on your pajamas and stay that way until Monday morning because you are so exhausted from the work week?

Been there, done that.

But I want more.

So lately I have been trying to be more intentional with my weekends so I don't roll out of bed on Monday wondering where the weekend went. I want to make the most of my free time and take advantage of the fact that I live in a foreign country, have great friends and fun hobbies and am ridiculously in love with my husband.

Some things that have turned out to be much more fulfilling than lounging around all weekend in my pajamas are:

Getting outside
Go for a walk. Sit on your roof. Drive to the beach. Jog around a lake. Lounge on your porch. Just get outside! It's amazing how getting out of your apartment gives you more energy and motivation!

Exploring
Find a new locale to explore. Visit an old haunt. Get lost and found.
We go on a lot of weekend scoot adventures. Usually we stop by 7-11, grab a drink and then head down roads we have never ventured down before. Sometimes we find nothing. Other times we find treasures. It's all an adventure. And I have to admit that there is something really sexy + exciting about crawling on the back of a scooter with my husband [okay, okay... a motorcycle would probably be hotter].

Hobbying
I write a lot
I go outside and take lots of pictures
I scrapbook
I bake
I read
Do what you love to do!

Connecting with people
Grab your friends and go out to eat. Head to a bar. Go shopping. Talk. Have a bonfire. Play games. Skype. Connect. This weekend I toasted marshmallows around a [illegal, I'm pretty sure] pit fire, scooted into the mountains with a friend, sat around a mall and ate potato chips + drank a beloved Dr. Pepper while chatting and Skyped with people I love from back home.

Dating my husband
Sometimes we go out to eat at nice restaurants, sometimes we go to the movies, sometimes we get a hotel in Taipei, sometimes we stroll the night market, sometimes we have a stay-in date with take away and games. We have so much fun and love the time we get to spend with each other over the weekends. I actually miss him when I have to go to work on Monday mornings, that's how much fun we have together!

Pretending I'm unemployed
My students know I will ignore them on Saturdays + Sundays because I do not check my work email from Friday afternoon until Monday morning. I do not get paid enough to work on the weekends and I do not want to live to work! I spend from 7:40 am to 4:10 pm at work Monday through Friday and my job does not get to take anymore of my life than it already does.

In just the last two weekends alone, we've had the opportunity to make a dream come true and enjoy a beautiful morning flower market and wander around a statue graveyard. Even better? On this weekend's list: more scoot (mis)adventure with the husband in northern Taiwan's hillsides and day trippin to Taipei to visit a cat cafe for the very first time!

What about you? How do you like to make the most of your weekends?? 

24 comments

  1. I agree, it's much more pleasant to get up (even if it's hard to do) and go somewhere during the weekend. Personally I don't enjoy wasting my time at home although sometimes I prefer to spend the whole Sunday in bed...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes a Sunday in bed is the perfect way to spend the day!

      Delete
  2. These tips are great. I need to make better use of prompts like this. This weekend, with hubby away, I did nothing. Didn't even leave the apartment. PJ days obviously have their advantages, but it seems such a shame to miss out on all that's around by being lazy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. My husband is going to be out of town for one week soon and I know I am going to be a pathetic mess. I will probably spend the entire week shuffling around my house in my pajamas waiting for him to come back home.

      Delete
  3. Such great tips! We like to get out side and go for long country walks. We will pack a lunch or snacks (Sometimes hot cocoa/tea/coffee too) and take our boys and just explore. I love wearing my pink wellies and splashing in the puddle (because we live in England currently) with my boys. You should definitely link this post up with our Travel Tuesday link up today! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bonnie! I hadn't seen the Travel Tuesday link up before! Great idea!

      And I'm not sure there is much that can beat a walk in the English countryside (especially in pink boots!!). I backpacked through England almost a decade ago (okay, that makes me feel a little old) and I still clearly remember how much fun I had wandering all through Bath and Glastonbury and their surrounding areas!

      Delete
  4. Great tips! I hate when I feel like the weekend was wasted and didn't get to enjoy my free time so I love these tips for how to make the most of the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! As an expat, I wanted to go see + do all these things but I kept using the excuse that I was "too tired" and that I would do it "later." But then I realized that I wont live in Taiwan forever and I may as well make the most of it rather than wasting the time I have!

      Delete
  5. You're right - we should all be more intentional with our weekends or just our time in general. It has happened to me often enough that I spend my time doing absolutely random things and then wonder where the heck the time went. But I definitely prefer making the most of the time I've been given and making some wonderful memories. Great tips! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that we should be more intentional with our time in general. My next thing to combat is the five o'clock blues: you get home from work and then can.not get off the couch. Ce la vie.

      Delete
  6. I can be like that.....put those pjs on and not move for long periods of time! ;) Scooting sounds so fun!! We like to explore, but sometimes have to be conscious to get out and do it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have this really bad habit of putting pjs on the second I get home. I don't like wearing "real" clothes in my own apartment for some reason. Perhaps this is part of the problem...

      Delete
  7. Love these tips! It's so easy to get into that winter weekend rut of pyjamas and movies for two days... that was me a couple weeks ago before a week-long trip helped me change it up and realize that I can be doing much more. Even little changes in the routine are so huge for boosting morale Thanks for the inspiration, I particularly liked your story about the probably illegal fire pit :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! It's the worst when it's winter + dark + cold. But we have actually found some pretty good places to hang out even when it's cold like coffee shops, museums and movie theaters. It's not always as much fun as poking around outside and being in nature/the city exploring but it sure beats holing up inside all day/weekend!

      Delete
  8. Couldn't agree more! There is nothing better than going to work on Monday morning feeling like you really used your weekend to the full!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. Plus it gives you something to look forward to when Thursday rolls around and you're wondering how on earth it isn't Friday yet.

      Delete
  9. Great tips! I love getting out and exploring - I find my workmates are always stunned that I've gone away *again*, or packed six different London activities in my weekend. As Sammy said, it really makes you feel like you had a proper weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that feeling. I always cook up these grand ideas and my friends just look at me like I'm crazy. Albeit, sometimes my plans are a little crazy and don't work out. It's still better to try!

      Delete
  10. Fun weekend guide, I do enjoy exploring my surroundings. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I For me, a huge draw of exploring is getting to ride around on my scooter. On the weekdays, I just use it to go to and from work and if I'm being honest, riding the scooter makes me feel like a bit of a badass :) Therefore, exploration for me is necessary.

      Delete
  11. All of these tips! And I especially fully support just getting out there for walks and little explorations! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Usually the close-to-home more local explorations are my favorite! Plus, they don't leave you feeling exhausted afterwards either.

      Delete
  12. Love these ideas. I had the same "Hey where did the weekend go?" feeling as you did and these days I am making conscious efforts to make it better and richer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Small efforts pay off huge! And I think it's all about balance. This weekend is a three-day weekend and I have fun plans for two days and I have one day to do whatever I want, which honestly is going to involve my jammies :)

      Delete

Hover to Pin