Thursday, February 27, 2014

up on the roof


I have never been a roof person. I have always been a backyard person.
But I have had to become a roof person because, well, I do not have a backyard.
Here everyone lives in these huge cement buildings crammed one after another in sprawling urban neighborhoods.
Backyards do.no.exist in Taiwan.
And it's important to have space and a place to go to so naturally the only place we had to go was up rather than out.




As you can see, the roof is really nothing special. It's dilapidated and the tiles wibble wobble under your feet. Everything is rusted and there are cables and interesting knobs to turn and buttons to push although Sean constantly expresses to me the importance of not touching things so I don't accidentally cut off our neighbor's [or our own] water supply.

Mostly we come up here to:
a. watch the fireworks, which never.stop even at three am on Tuesday mornings
b. hang the laundry
c. star gaze and marvel at shooting stars
d. talk





Usually we sit in between these two thingy-ma-jiggies above and talk big.
We talk about the places we will visit [our Bali trip was born on this rooftop].
We talk about the kids we want to have.
We talk about the places we will maybe move to one day.
We talk about home and the people and places we miss.
We talk about our past and laugh and reminisce.


 




We talk about the harder things too: how frustrating it can be to have a one-income household while trying to pay for a bachelor degree out of pocket while simultaneously paying off a master's degree and at the same time dreaming and scheming ways to continue to travel the world.

Sometimes we dance to the music of honking horns, passing scooters and airplanes.

Sometimes Sean smokes a cigar and I sip on wine

And sometimes this is the place I escape to when what I really crave is my old backyard.


Have you ever checked out your roof? What was there?

10 comments

  1. You can see the stars!!!! I realized a couple of months ago we can't see the stars here in our part of Korea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I assumed we wouldn't be able to either but on the second or third day after we moved here I looked up and was gobsmacked: there they were! Sometimes, especially when it's very humid + polluted during summer, they are hidden behind a haze but most nights they are on display for us! We have actually seen more shooting stars since moving here than when we lived back home!

      Delete
  2. You're gorgeous and I love your top. Where is it from? Also I can't wait to come see you and hang out on the roof.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll give you one guess: it starts with an A and ends with ie. Anthropologie! I'm telling you it is a sickness that YOU started so you should feel pretty bad right about now. And I can't wait for you to come either :)

      Delete
  3. I love how you make a roof top look and sound nice! Even if it's dilapidated and rusty, you are making memories and that's special! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Ever since I got my new camera, I find myself noticing smaller details that make any place, even my rooftop, more interesting and special!

      Delete
  4. This sounds great! I wish I had a roof top. I don't have a backyard either... I am trapped in a tiny flat! Does my head in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish you had a rooftop too! Last night, the sky was so.beautiful that I had to be outside but I knew the lake by my apartment would be overflowing with people so I just took the elevator upstairs and had the chance to appreciate the sunset in some peace and quiet!

      Delete
  5. I love the pictures in this post- especially the rusty handle.

    I wish I had rooftop access at my apartment here in Venezuela. I too, miss the PNW backyards and safe outdoorsy activities that can be done after a long day's work at an international school. Sigh. No such luck. Maybe next year I can relocate to a better apartment.

    -Amanda at http://teachingwanderlust.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      We are very lucky in the sense that Taiwan is very safe, there just is not really any relaxing place to go where we can be in peace and quiet. The rooftop is a great solution. I hope you can find a space too!

      Delete

Hover to Pin