Sunday, February 9, 2014

Planning + Patience


I think sometimes this blog makes our lifestyle seem like a given: they live abroad therefore naturally they travel all the time.

And while it is true that we live abroad and travel all the time, my life really isn't all that different from anyone else's:

I go to work Monday through Friday.
I have bills to pay: electricity, water, student loans, etc.
I have down times + friends + other hobbies.

When we travel, it takes planning. It is something we are proactive about. In some ways, my profession lends itself to my kind of lifestyle; as a teacher, I have three to four weeks off in the winter and nearly two months off in the summer.

But that doesn't mean our trips don't take work. They do.

Just like everyone else, we have to shop around for our airfare long before we embark on a journey.
Just like everyone else, we have to browse agoda for hours looking for the best deal on hotels.
Just like everyone else, we have to contact our banks in advance so they don't freeze our card when they notice transactions all over the world (even though they do anyways).
And just like everyone else, we have to budget + save carefully.

In fact, we just opened a Chace bank account in Hsinchu and deposited the first $500 towards our next Chinese New Year trip to New Zealand. We decided in Bali that New Zealand would be our next grand destination and something like that does not simply happen because you want it to. It's going to happen because we are going to put $500 in that Chace account every month until we leave next January with $6000 saved so we can have the trip we've always dreamed of inclusive of renting a car and taking a giant road trip all over the two islands.

My point here is that we do not get to see and travel the world because we are lucky. We are dreamers who plan and take intentional steps to ensure we can live our dreams come true.

And you can too.

Where do you want to go?
When can you find the time to go?
How much can you set aside each paycheck/week/month?
What little things can you live without in the mean time to help save so you can meet your goal and live your dream?

All it takes is a little planning + patience to see the world.

5 comments

  1. I love this post! I swear sometimes my friends think I just live this exotic life when in reality, I binge watch netflix as much as the next guy ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhhh I love this post. People always use the term 'lucky' for people who travel. It's not luck. It's hard work and determination!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, too, work internationally and last year when someone said to me that I was so lucky to travel so much and live in Europe, it really hit a nerve. I worked really hard to get my teaching job and have throughout my career. I'm glad that others out there have experienced the same. You can find my blog at http://51500.blogspot.it/

    ReplyDelete
  4. it's not always glamorous, but it's worth. loving the new design!

    ReplyDelete

Hover to Pin